The Clew Bay Heritage Centre prides itself on being a "hands on" experience one of the few museums, where visitors can touch the artefacts on display.
The displays are divided into the following sections:
Scale model of Westport Town and Quay
This model is used by the guides to illustrate the history and development of the town of Westport.
Grace O'Malley (Granuaile) and the O'Malley Clan
The original rulers of this part of Mayo.
Westport House and the Brownes.
The Port of Westport
Up to the coming of the Railway in the 1870's, this was the main port for Mayo.
Ireland's Struggle for Independence
This section contains original artefacts relating to Major John MacBride and his wife Maud Gonne, (inspiration of the love poetry of W B Yeats); autographs, books of Prisoners of War and various items from War of Independence and Civil War.
Croagh Patrick and The Churches of Westport
Croagh Patrick, renowned for its Patrician Pilgrimage in honour of Saint Patrick's fast on the mountain for forty days in 441AD, and now recognised as a place of tremendous importance in the pre-Christian era.
The Archaeology of County Mayo
Photographs and artefacts illustrating the rich archaeology of the county.
Selection of tools and utensils used locally from mid-19th century onwards.
With old school desk, slates and copy books dating from 1890's.
George Moore, George A Birmingham, Eleanor Fairburn and Michael Mullen.
Clew Bay Heritage Centre
+353 (0)98 26852
Some interesting items can be viewed here
- Advertisement from Faulkners Dublin Journal l767
- Altar Stone from Westport Workhouse
- Ammunition Belt
- Autograph Book 1923
- Barber's Chair 1926
- Bottle sealed by marble from Livingstone's Brewery
- Bullet Marked Dish
- Cannon Ball c.1680
- Cash Register c. 1850
- Collection of Medals from the Boer War
- Cross Inscribed Quern Stone
- Cross-inscribed Slab
- Hand Grenade
- Ledger from Mulloys Ironmongers, and Hardware Store
- Letter Weighing Scales
- Lucky 4 penny piece l844
- Magic Lantern c. 1900
- Mould for making altar breads
- Portrait of Maud Gonne MacBride
- Rockfleet Castle
- Rocking Horse
- Sash of Maud Gonne MacBride
- Scientific Equipment used in National Schools from l900s
- Sculpture of Ernie O'Malley, Freedom Fighter and Author 1897 - 1957
- Spinning Wheel of Maud Gonne MacBride
- Terra Marique Putens
- Window bars from Westport Workhouse
- Wooden Door