Quiet Man Cottage Museum
Things To See & Do
Circular Road, Cong, County Mayo, Ireland
Hiking and Hill Walking in the Region
In our ever fast paced lives, a new escape from growing mechanisation, noise, hustle and bustle has come to the fore. Hiking and Walking is fast becoming one of the most popular ways to get away from it all. An unspoilt view, the whispering of the trees, the view from atop a mountain - there is peace. No better place to experience real peace than Cong, with its well laid out walks, mysterious caves, and scenic views - sure to etch a place in the memories of the most experienced walkers!
Want to take it easy outdoors, catch your breath? It is also a fishermans paradise, with rods and boats available and a plentiful supply of lakes, rivers and underground streams. You can spend a week or more in Cong. There is a lot to do without breaking the bank.
Entry to Caves, Mountains, Forest, viewing of stone Circles, Cairns, Scenic Treks, Walks and fishing are all free as are the superb views of Connemara from Mount Gable which are sure to please.
Pony Trekking Cong Woods
Cong is an ideal base for touring the entire region, as it is centrally situated to Westport, Knock, Connemara, Galway, and The Burren area of County Clare.
Other things to do in Cong
- Cong Abbey - a Royal Abbey.
- The customs of the Cresheens
- St Cecilia's Well
- The Market Cross
- Flagstone of the Bullauns
- McNamara's House The Robin Hood of Cong
- Art In stained glass
- An old Gaol
- The rising of the waters
- Canal with no water
- Ashford Castle
- The Chart and Obelisk
- Stone of Lugna
- Captain Boycotts House
- Caves of Cong and Souterrains
- The stone monuments of Moytura Battlefield
- Cruise on Lough Corrib and tour Inchagoill Island. Part of the tour is a visit to St Patricks 5th century church. There is also time for a swim
Monks Fishing House Cong Abbey
Guides for sale at Museum
- Cong walks sights and stories
- Cunga Feichin Cong
- The complete tour guide to The Quiet Man Locations
- The glory of Cong
- Pony trekking in Cong woods