Gas Lamp - Lampa Gais
Kiltimagh Railway Museum, County Mayo
Lamp set into a 12' cast iron stand with semi-circular top onto which the lamp would originally have been attached, with the gas piped up through the stand to the gas lamp at the top. There was an appointed lamplighter who lit all the lamps in the town every evening, often accompanied by a group of children fascinated by the ceremony
This is the last surviving lamp of the town's gas lighting system from 1910 until the introduction of the Electricity Supply Board in the 1940s.
This particular lamp was originally situated within the precincts of the local Convent. It was transferred here from its former site by kind permission of the St. Louis Sisters in 1992.