Eachléim Heritage Centre
Aughleam, Belmullet, County Mayo
Glosh Tower on Termon Hill is one of the 82 Napoleonic Towers built between 1801-06 around the coast of Ireland. The English, taken by surprise after the landing of the French in Bantry Bay and General Humbert and the French in Kilcummin near Killala in 1798 immediately set about guarding the coastline by building signal towers. They were mostly built around 1806 and noted for their tall square shape with buttresses and quarry slates to protect the outside walls. This tower is situated at the summit of Termon Hill, 53 meters above sea level, and commands a fine view.
Signal Towers were to keep watch on the coast for any sign of the French who might be invading; at such a sign, signals would be passed on the next tower and so on back to the commanding station.
Heritage Centre collection