Clew Bay Heritage Centre
The Quay, Westport, County Mayo
Clare Island across Clew Bay
Situated in a 19th century building, the Clew Bay Heritage Centre, traces the history of the planned town of Westport and the Clew Bay area from pre-Christian times to the present. Artefacts, documents and photographs connected with the general Westport area provide a basis for the presentation of local history, customs and traditions.
Guided tours of the centre are available.
School groups of all ages are catered for. Our school programme incorporates a tour of the centre, quiz based on the displays and a guided walk of the town of Westport.
For the Westport and Clew Bay area (Achill Island to Louisburgh). The genealogical service is backed up by an extensive computer database, based on church records, schools registers, rent rolls, cemetery records, census returns, local newspapers and street directories.
Guided walks of the historic planned town of Westport are conducted twice weekly, July and August at 8pm starting at the Clock, junction of Bridge Street and Shop Street.
Walks may also be arranged by appointment.
- Westport Historical Society produce an annual journal 'Cathair Na Mart'
- Major John McBride - Anthony Jordan
- The Bishop in Politics - Life and Career of John MacEvilly - Liam Bane
- Father Manus Sweeney - A Mayo Priest in the Rebellion of 1798
- April, May & October: Mon - Fri 10am to 2pm
- June - Sept: Mon - Fri 10am to 5pm
- Sunday (Jul & Aug only) 3pm to 5pm
The Heritage Centre is run by Westport Historical Society.