The Tochár Phadraig Pilgrim Walk
35 miles (55km) (all inclusive)
Ballintubber, County Mayo, Ireland
Travel to Balla. Welcome pack on arrival (guides, maps, literature, etc) Enjoy an evening meal in the Bridge Restaurant. Socialise in a local pub and enjoy Irish music and song. Retire to guesthouse where your accommodation has been booked.
Ten o'clock depart Balla and commence walking the first six miles of the Tochár Phadraig, which will take you to Gweesdian. Spend the afternoon in Mayo Abbey, visit archaeological sites and hear about the local history from a local guide. Dinner in the community centre will be followed by music, dance and song. Stay in local guesthouses. 9.6 Km (6 miles)
Walk from Gweesdian to Clogher. Meet the local storyteller in the village forge. Visit historic Drum, continue on to Ballintubber and visit the Celtic Furrow, a purpose built educational and cultural centre that traces our heritage from the Neolithic times to the present day. Dinner at the Abbey Restaurant and relax with local people in the pub. Your hosts will take you to your guesthouses. 9.6km (6 miles)
Guided tour of Ballintubber Abbey and walk through rugged landscape & bog-lands rich in flora & fauna to Aughagower (4 hours walking). A local guide will introduce you to this historic village. Dinner will be provided in Westport (Sea coast and picturesque town). Enjoy a social evening in Ireland's most famous pub, Matt Molloy's. Stay in local guesthouses in Aughagower. 16km (10 miles)
Walk the fourth phase of the journey from Aughagower to Murrisk and explore the many archaeological sites along the way. Visit 15th century Murrisk Abbey and the National Famine Monument. Dine in a local restaurant. Overnight in Murrisk. 19km (12 miles)
Climb Croagh Patrick, Ireland's Holy Mountain, a magnificent natural pyramidal monument - rising to a height of 765m. Observe the flora and fauna of this area. Capture the breathtaking view of Clew Bay's 365 islands on your descent from the mountain. Dinner will be served in a local restaurant followed by a farewell function, which includes music, dance and song. Overnight in Murrisk.
Day free to explore. Shopping trips or other attraction visits can be arranged by request.
Depart for airport & return home.
euro 445.00 / IR£ 350.00 per person sharing and based on a group of 20 people.
- 7 nights B&B Q.A. accommodation. You will stay at Bord Failte Tourist Board approved homes. All rooms are ensuite and are situated in the village's of Balla, mayo Abbey, Partry, Aughagower & Murrisk.
- Packed lunches/lunches & evening meals.
- Transport (including luggage) to and from walks, workshops & heritage sites.
- All entertainment and activities included in the five-day programme.
- Detailed maps, brochures and guides where
- The above package is a sample package. West of Ireland Holidays can arrange any holidays to suit your needs.
- This pilgram walk is mostly through green fields and smaller roads, but some rougher terrain is involved too. Suitable walking boots are essential.
- Please bring suitable rain gear, small rucksack & a camera to capture some great scenery.
Entry & Exit Points: Pick up & drop off can be arranged from Knock / Dublin / Shannon / Other
Accommodation: Choose B&B, Self-Catering or Hotel
Transport: Choose Coach or Car Hire
Price: Will vary depending on above options & group size
For further information contact
West of Ireland Holidays
Tochár Valley Network
Tel: + 353 (0) 94 903 0036
Fax:+ 353 (0) 94 903 0018