The Ballintubber Experience
Ballintubber, County Mayo, Ireland
Experience for yourself the story of 'the Abbey that refused to die' with our video and guides who will take your through the stories of burnings, suppression, priest hunters and restoration.
Journey along Tóchar Phádraig the ancient pilgrim path to Croagh Patrick.
Follow Tóchar Mhuire - the Rosary Way and Tóchar Chriost - the Stations of the Cross through the grounds specially landscaped to portray spiritual themes.
Spend some time on retreat with our "Ballintubber Abbey Retreat Experience" from June - September incorporating strands of Celtic Spirituality.
- Site of Early Patrician Church
- Royal Medieval Abbey founded in 1216
- Survived Cromwellian Destruction in 1653
- Unbroken Celebration of Mass for 785 years
Ballintubber Abbey Opening Hours
- Open daily 9am to 12 midnight
- Guided Tours: May - Sept 10am to 6pm
- Off Peak by appointment
- Winter Programme
- Tóchar Phádraig Pilgrim Path est 350AD
- Informer's Tree
- Ruined Cloister
- Burial Place of Grannuaile's son
- Around Grounds of Abbey