Abbey and Loir Windows - Finneoga Córlanna
Ballintubber Abbey, Co. Mayo was built in 1216 for the Canons Regular of St Augustine by King Cathal O'Connor, King of Connaught. It has been in continuous use since its foundation. It is 29 years older than Westminster Abbey, and is cruciform in shape. The Chancel has a corbelled roof with three-ribbed vaulting on either side. There are four side chapels in Romanesque and Gothic styles.
This remarkable Abbey is serving its original purpose with 9am Mass daily, 10am on Saturdays, The weekend Masses commence at 8.00 p.m. on Saturday evenings with Masses at 9.00 a.m. and 11.30 a.m. on Sunday Mornings. Ballintubber Abbey is in a very romantic setting with its beautifully landscaped grounds and ancient Lough Carra close by - it is an ideal choice for weddings. Retreats are run from the Abbey all year round. And last but by no means least Ballintubber Abbey is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country.
In the 1960s Fr Thomas Egan, who was then a curate in Ballintubber worked tirelessly to have the Abbey restored in time for its 750th Anniversary. This restoration gave the Abbey a new status and profile which it presently enjoys. He christened it "The Abbey That Refused to Die"
The windows in the Chancel commissioned by Fr Thomas A. Egan were made in Chartres in France by Mr Henri Loir. They are very striking in early evening and as the intensity of the light changes they vary in colour to amber, yellow brown and purple- they are most impressive.
The various colour represent the cosmic struggle of Good and Evil